Todd Jackson, founder and Director of Big Blue Adventure, got his start producing windsurfing races in the San Francisco Bay Area, “almost as a hobby,” he says. After receiving his degree from U.C. Berkeley, Todd branched out into other sports, proving adept at creating and organizing events. One thing lead to another and Seventh Wave Productions (SWP) was born, now a DBA of Big Blue Adventure (BBA).
In its early days, SWP focused on the trend sports of windsurfing and inline skating. But Todd and his staff were also active mountain bikers, hikers, cross-country and backcountry skiers, so as the company took shape it was in position to produce a number of seminal adventure races, off-road triathlons, trail running and mountain bike events. Big Blue Adventure was launched with the first Tahoe Big Blue race in 2002; in subsequent years, numerous BBA races have been held throughout California and the West.
The spirit of Big Blue Adventure can be summed up in these basic tenets:
- Passion for being outside.
- Desire to create exciting moments that are a highlight of people’s leisure time.
- Commitment to creating positive experiences and life-long memories.
The Big Blue Adventure Team has vast experience producing:
- Triathlons, Duathons, Aquabike, and other multi-sport events
- Mountain Bike races and clinics
- Running races and clinics—road and trail running
- Paddling events: Kayak, SUP, Prone, and other
- Surf events: Windsurfing, Surfing, SUP
- Adventure Racing
- Open Water Swimming races and clinics
- Orienteering/Navigation activities and competitions
- Short events, with finish times under an hour
- All-day, multi-race events
- Multi-day, epic adventures
- Corporate activities and events
- Event consulting and management
Our events celebrate the best of the diverse natural terrain and geographic regions of California, Nevada and Oregon, whether it’s the rugged Pacific Coast, vast national forests, golden hills above San Francisco Bay, high desert in the eastern Sierra, or high peaks surrounding Lake Tahoe. We’ve run successful events spring, summer, fall and snowy winter.
Big Blue Adventure events have welcomed thousands of outdoor enthusiasts to enjoy their state parks and public lands in new, exciting ways, all without leaving a trace—the latter of particular importance to us, due to the commitment of our entire team to the protection of the natural environment. Big Blue Adventure also donates a percentage of our profits to regional charities, supporting recreational, social and environmental causes.